My NM2208 blog :D

Sunday, January 23, 2011

assignment 1 A & B - Me, Myself & I

Me, Myself & I


Brainstorming:
Step 1: Identify YOU by writing down words
associated to YOU.
Step 2: Sort these words and visualize how they
represent YOU

Preliminary sketches:
Develop 4 preliminary sketches

Full scale roughs:
From these 4 sketches, choose 1 and further
develop them into 2 full scale roughs

Final prototype:
Create final artwork via CG



Brainstorming

We were supposed to write down as many words as possible that is related to 'me'. And there I was in the LT racking my brains.
After a while, here's the list of words I penned down on my notebook:

dance (it really means hip hop in my context)
colourful/ vibrant
music
bold
city night landscape
art- drawing
fastivals -> christmas
architecture
tall (i was really dry on brain juice)
glam/ exaggerated (as in the very extravagant style)
snow - snowman, snowball, snowflake, tree
photography
CNY? ( i guess this falls under festivals)


So I went on to doodle on my notebook, and then the very first theme I tried was the 'city night landscape'. I really loved nightviews, the awesome breathtaking scene of lights against the dark sky. So somehow I associated all that with Marina, since it has one of the prettiest night views in Singapore. There it was, a flyer. But somehow the more I drew, I was just trying to make out my name with these objects, so eventually it turned into my first sketch, which ended up with a Singapore theme. Oh wells, I'm very Singaporean, so I guess it shouts "me!" as well.

Doodled a bit more, the second piece was on dance. I thought of shoes, figures, but after i drew the "e" i continued with a graffiti styled 'G' which ended up looking like the hood of the guy's head. So it gave me an idea to complete the remaining letters with a bboy doing floor rock. I'm not into bboy actually, but it falls under the category of hiphop. :D

Then I was really dry of ideas already. Did a snow themed one, but it was really ridiculous, so i scraped the idea.

So, after squeezing dry of my brain juice, I finally got my 4 sketches out.


Preliminary sketches


#1- Singapore?


#2- Dance


#3- Photography/ Film


#4- Beach

After drawing the Singapore themed one, I thought my R was not really fitting as the other letters were made up by pbjects unique to Singapore. So I searched a bit on google and thought for some time before deciding to use the 'MayBank' building. And also I thought the HDB 'E' could have alternatives like the marina barrage or marina bay sands.



Full scale roughs

Honestly, it was a tough choice between #1 and #2. #3 was out of the question because I thought the letters were not really integrated into the design. #4 was lagging behind as the beach does not represent me as strongly. I really liked the dance one but I thought #1 would have a larger range of possible variations, for example, colours and hues, or day and night. Mostly about colour scheme.


#1


#2

Stubbon, I held on to my liking for the night-time city landscape, but I decided to try one for a day time look, and the other night.

As I was thinking how to make the night time one look not dull, I google searched and drew inspirations from some photos below.






tada!:
As of now, these are my 2 roughs.



day.


night.

there were some differences in the letters as well.


Final Prototype

After having it in computer graphics,


This is the very first draft, unfinished. I didn't use this because the sky was not an original work by me. It was really pretty, but I stole it off the net, so I couldn't use it. But anyway, it was just a rough guide for an idea or preview of the final work I wanted.


Then when I was done, here are the 8 choices that I couldn't make up my mind with. They are just very minor details, but I am a perfectionist when it comes to things like these.
In case you can't tell,
1. 4 on the left column have a glowing outline.
2. first 4 on the top have a different background from the left.
3. 2nd and 4th row have fainter orange gradient from behind the 'hill'.

So, since I couldn't decide, printed it out and brought to class. After feedback, they thought it was fine and the glow would help outline the name and make it clearer, so i stuck with this one.

FINAL PROTOTYPE.

TADA!

No comments:

Post a Comment